About St George’s Esher Masonic Lodge
Formation and Consecration of our Masonic Lodge
St George’s Masonic Lodge was formed on the 3rd September 1947 by 14 brethren who resided in the local covered by the Esher Urban District Council.
Those 14 brethren had a clear vision and met at the Moore Hotel to discuss how the lodge could be formed. It was here that it was decided that the lodge would meet at the Old Church, Esher, Surrey.
The date was set for March 24th 1948 and the consecration to be held at the Piccadilly Hotel, Piccadilly, London and the consecrating officer would be the Provincial Grand Master – Right Worshipful Brother Lt.Col. HA Mann, OBE, MC.
No less than 100 brethren including 12 consecrating officers were in attendance.
In 1968 St George’s Esher Lodge changed its meeting place to the Masonic Halls in Surbiton where it meets to the present day. Our lodge has the added advantage, and many benefits, of meeting for Lodge of Instruction at a club in East Molesey. Meetings take place on Tuesday evening during the Masonic year.
Charity is close to the heart of all Freemasons and since the very beginning our lodge has supported Trinity Hospice and has since supported St Raphael’s, the Phyllis Tuckwell and our own local hospice the Princess Alice.
Support was also given in the early days to the Guildford Cathedral Fund.
The greatest challenge was during the Provincial 1997 Festival where St George’s Lodge Esher donated £40,007.30 over a 10 year period. The total donated by the Province of Surrey Freemasons totaled £7.5 Million.
More recently the lodge donated £5,000 towards the Surbiton Masonic Halls for its refurbishment fund along with a 6 stained glass windows in memory of one of the founders, W. Bro E.W Walters who was one of the original lodge founders.
Over the years the lodge has also enjoyed many social events where families have gathered together to enjoy each others company and formed many long lasting friendships.